1. What exactly is a whole grain?
A whole grain is any cereal grass that contains all three of its original edible parts – the fiber-and-nutrient-rich outer bran, the germ (which is the seed of a new plant), and the starchy endosperm.
2. Why are whole grains good for me?
Because they contain three to five times as much of a range of key nutrients that are lost when grains are refined, by removing the bran and germ.
3. If whole grains are so good for you, why are they so often refined?
Refined grains have a longer shelf life, and they’re easier to cook with and make products with. And people who are used to the blander taste of refined grains may take some time to get accustomed to the fuller, nuttier taste of whole grains.
4. How do you heat Gretchen’s Grains?
- In your microwave in a microwave safe bowl or plate for a few minutes or less depending on the amount you want heated and the strength of the microwave.
- On your stovetop in a saucepan, skillet or wok for a few minutes sprinkled with a few drops of water over medium to medium-high heat. Most times you can just throw them in with the other ingredients you are heating and heat them all together.
- Thaw in your refrigerator over night, as much or as little as you’d like. It will stay good for up to a week in your refrigerator.
5. Are Gretchen’s Grains gluten free?
- Our Quinoa Blend and Brown Rice are both gluten free.
- Our Wheat Berries are not.
6. Do your grains have additives?
Our grains have no additives, no preservatives, and are not pre-flavored. Nothing but pure whole grains in all their glory ready for you to use the way you like.
7. Is your packaging recyclable?
8. Are Gretchen’s Grains certified Kosher?
Not right now, but we are actively working on it.
9. Are you interested in my Gretchen’s Grains ideas?
Yes, yes, yes! We believe that the kitchens these grains are used in produce the best ways to use them. We also believe that real-life experience is the best way to learn. Teach us what you learn from our grains! You may just win a contest or get to judge one of your own.
10. Gretchen is an actual person, right?
This is Gretchen and I truly love whole grains. Gretchen's Grains is a real homemade business created from the belief in a healthy diet no matter how much time you have to dedicate to cooking. I am very excited about the endless possibilities whole grains provide and would love to personally respond to your questions or ideas. Try me!
11. Do you really eat whole grains all the time?
Absolutely! The versatility and amazing nutritional profile of Gretchen’s Grains allows for use at any meal. Check out my blog to see how we use all kinds of whole grains in small or large amounts almost every day.
12. Why whole grains?
See our health benefits section and find out exactly why Gretchen’s Grains should always be in your freezer ready to use at any meal.
Additives? Gluten Free? Kosher? Wanna know more about our grains? Find the answers to Frequently Asked Questions right here!